Friday 9 May 2008

What's Growing?

I've nearly finished planting out all my veggies for the summer, so I thought I've give a brief summary of what it is I'm actually trying to grow without a garden. Currently most of them are either in module trays on the windowsills or in small pots after being potted on last weekend.

Tomatoes: I planted six seeds each of three types - tumbling toms, vine tomotoes and centiflor tomatoes. The vine and centiflor types came from the wonderful http://www.realseeds.co.uk/ so I'm keen to see how they do, especially the centiflor which is apparently a new type of tomato. I was going to have hanging baskets on a stand, but decided that there wasn't room, so the tumbling toms will probably end up tumbling down from in pots on a wall. All the seeds germinated, although some have grown much quicker than others.

Aubergines: I planted six seeds, all germinated.

Courgettes: Six seeds, all germinated and going strong. God only know what I am going to do with that many courgettes. Last year I sold all my spare plants from a trestle table on the street, so I might try this again.

Patty Pans: I got these from Real Seeds for Kirsty, since I've only ever seen these in South Africa. All three seeds have germinated but took AGES and are still in the module trays.

Mange Tout: I know these are best planted in situ, but I started off six indoors in an attempt to stagger my pea crop. They rocketed up - we could barely plant them out fast enough. I've planted more seeds in the bed.

Beans: Six 'Cherokee Pole Bean' seeds from Real Seeds planted indoors, four germinated. I think I was just unlucky but with the two that didn't sprout. I planted a few more in spare modules and these have grown really quickly, except for one, which was put outside in the sun too early and shrivelled up.

Ridge Cucumbers: Three planted inside, all doing well and have been potted on.

Radishes: Two rows planted out, all doing well and are already starting to show their second set of leaves.

Lettuce: I planted out two types of lettuce from Real Seeds in the bed. The seedlings came through really quickly, but as usually I scattered the seeds too thickly so I'm going to have to do some very careful thinning.

Spring Onions: I planted two types in medium sized pots back in March. Despite being rained on, attacked by unseasonable hail storms in May and covered in a layer of snow for several days in April these plucky little seeds germinated at the first sign of sun and are doing well. I planted these too thickly as well. Clearly a lesson for next year!

No comments: