Tuesday 29 July 2008

Shelling peas

Yesterday I made green peas and rice in cream sauce. One of my favourite recipes, not just because it’s so yummy, but because it meant that I got to sit for ten minutes on the patio after work, shelling peas in the warm sunshine, sitting in my urban green patch listening to the sounds of the street and the wind in the trees. Shelling peas is one of my favourite jobs.

I also went into town at lunchtime yesterday. After an hour’s searching I had established that there was absolutely nothing under £50 that I wanted to wear to my friend’s wedding on Saturday, so I bought myself a sunflower in a pot instead. I took the dried up sweet peas out of their planter yesterday evening, so this one will go there, once I've 'repaired' the dry and root filled compost. I do so love sunflowers.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That does sound good (and certainly vegetarian). How do you make your cream sauce?

I hate shopping for clothes, but can usually last for more than an hour - well, 65 mins. Hope the sunflower in a pot didn't cost £50!

The Organic Viking said...

The cream sauce is basically cream plus two tablespoons of parmesan. A lot of the flavour comes from the stock in which the rice is cooked (so it could conceivably be a carniverous dish as well). It's effectively sloppy risotto but with brown rice instead of arborio.

My tolerance for clothes shopping is notably low!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for that.

(Hope you find something to wear.)